07 April 2009

I'd love another cinnamon roll!

I am a morning person. In fact, I am one of those ANNOYING morning people who wakes up at 5am whistling. By 8 am, it is entirely possible that I have run a couple of miles, watered the garden, cleaned dishes, updated our budget information, and washed the car. Okay, that last one is a lie because I haven't washed my car since the month of January but the rest is possible. Well, my wife is not that much of a morning person. I'm pretty sure that she wants to slap me around half the time because I wake up and stomp around the house, clink dishes, and generally think the rest of the world should be awake with me (I don't do it intentionally but I can't help it...I get that from my dad!).

Why tell you that? To point out that while I may be a pretty disciplined person (keeping to a running schedule, taking care of the garden, getting up early to take care of whatever), I have no self-control when it comes to food (as opposed to my wife who has no problem saying no to good food). None. I am one of those people who doesn't eat to live...I live to eat. Self-control for me is refusing another spoonful of brownie a la mode because if one more bite enters my mouth I will literally throw up. Well, this occasionally rears its head when certain foods jump in front of me. Foods like Dark Chocolate M&Ms, any kind of chocolate cookie or cake, queso, finger foods, (you know what...pretty much any good food). Some may not think this a big deal (even if it may be somewhat unhealthy). I, however, think it's a huge deal.

Why? Personal conviction. The Lord has recently convicted me of this...self-control is a fruit of the Spirit and one that I MUST cultivate. Additionally, I am scared of becoming overweight (which is a two-edged sword...keeps me running and exercising). Therefore, I am saying right now that I am asking the Lord for help in this area of my life. He has to cultivate self-control (not only in food but also in all areas of life) in me.

One last thing...I had Kahlua Cake for breakfast this morning...and I'm pretty sure that I would eat it for every meal of the day if I could. Here's the recipe! You will love it I assure you!

No comments: