03 March 2009

Run you idiot!

Jim here with profuse apologies for not posting in the last week.

No, the subject line is not my formal announcement to run for public office in 2010 but the public acknowledgement that I have been thoroughly inspired to train for and run a marathon before the end of the year.

Let me explain. As some of you are aware, I have run in the past and continue to do so on an on-again, off-again basis. Honestly, I enjoy it. I feel better when I get to run (physically and mentally) and I love setting a goal and accomplishing it. However, I do not enjoy being cold...at all. And the thought of going outside at 5:30 in the morning in January gives me chills even now. However, no more excuses. It's March and the weather is, in a word, FANTASTIC!

Why the inspiration to do this now? Well, that comes from two sources really. Number one, my uncle who lives in the Austin, TX area recently completed his first marathon and he ran it under 4 hours! That is impressive and listening to him talk about it after he finished the race in February really made me want to get out and do it too. As if that weren't enough to convince me that this is something I need to do, something happened on last week's Biggest Loser that completely pushed me over the edge. If you're not a fan of the show (or my friend Chelsea's blog), the gentleman who got booted from the show last week weighed almost 400 pounds within the last 6 months. He lost a substantial amount of weight before getting booted and then proceeded to run a marathon with his wife. After the episode ended last week, I looked at Sarah and said "If Dane can run a marathon, I can definitely do it!"

So, here I am, saying that my training has begun. The plan is to build up to a 10K in the summer, a half-marathon in the fall, and running the marathon in Austin next February. I'm having to start slowly again because all of the endurance I had built up prior to the job change and buying a home in October has disappeared over the winter. However, I'm here and, with the Lord's help, I will do it!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's awesome, Jim! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Jim, I am very proud of you. And I know that when you set your mind to do something, you do it. Good Luck and I'll be praying for you
Mom