12 April 2009

Easter!

Happy Easter to all! I hope that you have a marvelous day!

Easter is a special day, especially to followers of Christ, because this is the day that we celebrate his rising from the dead, defeating death and sin, and ultimately, we celebrate our salvation.

However, it is incredibly easy to look over this point, and focus on the secularization of the holiday. Now, don't jump to conclusions. I don't have a problem with Easter Bunny, coloring eggs, egg hunting, or candy. I did it as a child, and all of my young siblings still do the same.

So what do I celebrate today? I celebrate the fact that Jesus died on the cross and rose three days later. Because I am an imperfect human, I can in no way earn or gain access to God because of my sin. (Even as a born again Christian, I still need the grace that only God can give to cover my iniquities. The word "christian" is not synonymous with "perfect" and I think sometimes others forget that.) I have to deal with the same temptations, issues, and problems that everyone else does. The only difference is because I believe that Jesus did conquer sin on the cross, paying my debt to God that I could never pay on my own, I can have a relationship with God who helps me to look at those temptations, issues, and problems in a different light.

Today I celebrate what my faith in Christ hinges on: the fact that 2009 years ago, God had it planned that Jesus would be the sacrifice for MY sins (and yours!) if we would only believe. "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim! Jim! RICK PERRY what?!?!?

Jim Johnson said...

Stephen, what in the world are you talking about?!