11 May 2009

Milestones and Movies

I did it. I reached my first marathon training milestone. I'll wait for your applause to die down before I continue...

There are about 7 different milestones on this training endeavor and it is extremely gratifying to check the first one off. Oh, what's the milestone? I ran for thirty minutes at my desired marathon pace without stopping to walk. For the runners in the crowd (or the athletic folks), that's not that big of a deal. However, I have never been able to do this before. Even when I was running 6 or 7 miles at a time last summer, I had to stop and walk every 5 minutes or so. Not anymore! VERY exciting!

My poor wife was confined to her bed for a lot of this weekend because of back spasms. As a result (and also due to poor weather outside), I watched THREE movies on Saturday. The best (by far) of the bunch was Slumdog Millionaire...it was a great movie. Great story, great casting, great music, and a happy ending (the last part is especially important to me...this is why Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time and Pride & Prejudice is my favorite book; I want a happy ending). I also went to see the new X-Men movie at the theater with some guys from my Junior High sunday school class I teach. It was surprisingly good (I was expecting to be bored out of my mind...I liked it a lot). And I finished the day with Adam Sandler in Bedtime Stories--not a life-changing experience but a good, fun story.

Oh, and may I share something ridiculous with you? Church's CHICKEN is offering a free corn dog with purchase of a large soft drink (and a complimentary triple bypass). Never mind the nutritional value of that last statement...a fast food fried chicken joint is now selling corn dogs. And people wonder why American culture is dead...

No comments: