28 January 2009

Lots of Catching Up To Do...

Because there is so much to catch up on, I find that the only way to do this in any orderly fashion is to do it in sections.

Work: I am loving my job, and Jim is loving his. We are fully into Disciple Now season and things are going to get busy. Our theme this year is Awaken, and I feel that this will be the best one yet. We are focusing on our culture, and how it relates to our students. 

Ice Days: Tuesday, I awoke at 6 am to check closings. We were expec
ting ice to accumulate, but here in North Texas, you can never truly trust a forecast until the day gets here. I got on the MSU website and was excited to find out that school was canceled. And since WFISD
 was canceled, I didn't have to be at work until 10. However, I received a text message around 830 letting me know that the church was officially closed and I had a day off to enjoy. Jim, well, his boss told him not to come in either. We turned it in to a really productive day, getting the house cleaned, laundry done, and I worked on homework. The only time we got out was to go to my mom's house to help my sister watch the kids and feed them dinner. The roads were definitely dangerous, but if you went slow, you were fine.


Janey: Janey hasn't known what to do with all this weird weather. She wet in the house, on the bath mat, of course, and while we were gone, proceeded to eat a plastic bag of 2 M&M's packages, a bag of skittles, and a package of starbursts, wrappers and all. I was so worried that she would die (because I've always heard that when dogs eat chocolate they die) but it turned out that all she had was a lot of bad, loud gas, all night long. 
Call To Die: Jim and I are doing a devotional together called "A Call To Die" by David Nasser. Basically, we had to "die" to something for 40 days. I gave up Facebook, and he gave up watching TV by himself. So far, the important points have been: 1) Jesus' commitment to obey the Father was greater than His desire for approval and comfort. 2) Because Satan is not gentle in dealing with us, we cannot be gentle in dealing with him. 3) Our "entertain me" culture has made us spiritually soft and emotionally mushy. We expect things to come to us too easily.  Any thoughts?

My Dumb Assignment: I am in a class called Personal Relations and Interactions. We had this assignment that I just really hated doing. We were "encouraged to take an active role in my education this semester." I had to develop my own learning objective based on Fink's Model of learning and then prove how I was going to measure my success in attaining them and prove it on each test in order to get the curve. Ridiculous. Did you ever have an assignment that you thought was just pointless? 

1 comment:

Jim Johnson said...

Our dog really is sweet and good...except when she's an IDIOT! All that candy hardly fazed her (except for the aforementioned gas issues, but that's kind of normal for her). Right now she's at home by herself and I am scared to death what will be awaiting me when I get home...